Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your house, being comfortable in your new room no matter the weather is a priority. However, they can make a unique problem for contentment. This is because extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, because it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced solutions is to install a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Find out more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a great option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient because they move heat to make your addition more comfortable. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for extra rebates and reduce your energy expenses for years to come.
Another unique feature is zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has an individual indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a room with precise temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s smarter than installing ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the exact cost will depend on your unique situation, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system could become overworked. When your current heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This may overwork your system and make it wear out more rapidly.
- Your comfort may be impacted. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort may be reduced if your system is required to take care of a wider area. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your utility bills could increase due to the system needing to turn on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like more common systems, mini-splits come in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new space. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create huge energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or more when correctly maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Reach us at 925-364-5427 today to request a free consultation and estimate.