Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is working? There's likely something wrong with your system. If you ignore it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues eventually. We're going to help you find out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. A professional can help determine where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can create noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Peruse our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Go through our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your external unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep running my system when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without looking at your system.
In most cases, we recommend turning the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's smart to get problems fixed right away. Getting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.