When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Livermore, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Livermore or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 925-364-5427 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.