When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Livermore, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Livermore or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 925-364-5427 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.