What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?
Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Doing proper safety precautions will decrease your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Livermore.
Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Warm up your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours running in the small space of a garage. The same applies for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills as heaters. These things are safe when used right but can make carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a pro. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected correctly.
- Check gas appliances are operating correctly, especially your furnace. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe heating by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.